Monday 20 November 2017

Analytical Reflection for formal presentation

At the beginning of Effective Communication, I set the goal of organizing my thoughts properly to be more succinct in the way I write and speak. I enjoyed the oral presentation as it was a great experience to test out and practice my presentation skills. The main criticism I received regarding my presentation was my fidgeting, talking speed, and delivery. 

During the presentation, fidgeting was a form of a coping mechanism to mask my nervousness. I initially thought that it was not much of an issue, but it distracted the audience from my verbal speech. Additionally, for the majority of my presentation, I was not facing my audience fully, alienating the other half of my audience. 

Aside from fidgeting, I was feeling zealous to present. As a result, I was unaware of how fast I spoke. I also failed to foresee the abrupt change of pace when I handed over to my teammates to speak. 

For subsequent presentations, I will be more conscious of my non-verbal cues, facing my body towards the audience and remember not to fidget too much. For future group presentations, I will have to be conscious of my speed for a smoother transition between me and my teammates.

To conclude, this presentation is my favourite assignment and I enjoyed the experience very much. I learnt that everyone experiences pre-presentation jitters and it is how one manages the stress and nervousness that makes the difference. I established my flaws and strengths, practiced my presentation skills while discovering new flaws I never knew I had to further improve my communication skills. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks very much, Reggie, for this detailed reflection. I'm happy to note that you found the OP assignment useful. It's clear from this short essay that you have deeply considered your performance, which will undoubtedly lead you to more impressive results in the future. Best of luck with future presentations.

    ReplyDelete