Friday 24 November 2017

Critical Reflection

At the beginning of Effective Communication, I approached this module with optimism and confidence to learn more about the tips and tricks of communicating effectively. I am confident that I will be able to learn more about myself and finally polish my English language after 5 years of not studying it. Studying the ways of effective communication was more than just achieving an "A" grade, but to be able to deliver my thoughts and feelings as clearly and as effectively as possible. In this reflection, I will be discussing the assignments that I have done and what I have learnt from them.

My reader's response was based on an article discussing cladding. Previously, I had trouble gathering my thoughts together in a structured and concise manner when writing. I agreed and understood the feedback that was given to me, as I did not drive my point across as I first intended to. In future essays and maybe even thesis, I will ensure to first recollect my thoughts and be confident in my stand before penning it down. 

While doing the technical report, I struggled with the tone. There were times where I used informal words to address certain issues. I was also not detailed enough when explaining the technical parts of the report. Once again, my thoughts lacked structure, which reflected on the report. For technical reports in the future, I will be sure to be precise in my writing and be as explicit as possible when discussing technicalities.

The oral presentation was the assignment I enjoyed the most. I had trouble masking my nervousness and it reflected in my verbal and nonverbal speech. I fidgeted a lot while presenting and I did not take the difference in my teammate’s pace into consideration. I will be much more considerate in future team presentations to come, to provide a comfortable switch of pace when it is my teammate’s turn. To mask my nervousness, I will practice more prior to the presentation and practice presenting without the slides, to maintain eye contact with my audience.

To conclude, this module was a fruitful and productive one. From here and out, I will further improve my communication skills as learning never stops. This module has given me the motivation and confidence to do so and maybe even influence my colleges in the future, to communicate clearly, succinctly and effectively. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks very much, Reggie, for this fine final reflection. I appreciate the way you selected various assignments and then deliberated on what you might have been able to do more effectively, and why. Good job!

    I've appreciated your many contributions to the module during the term, from being willing to ask questions in class to serving as the tech guy for the showcase. Thanks for all of that. And best wishes as you continue your learning journey.

    ReplyDelete